Since it is World Cat Day, you are probably wondering why I am directing today’s post to you humans. Simple. I want to make sure that you know what to do for your cats today. After all, this is a holiday, just like Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, and certain things are required. But we cats can’t trust you humans to get it right without help. Cards and phone calls will satisfy mom and dad, but they won’t fly with your cat. So I thought I would be nice and helpful by suggesting a few things you can do to honor your cats on this very important holiday. Try these on for size:
- Begin the day by serving breakfast in bed to your cat. In your bed, of course. But don’t bring her plain, old kibble or canned cat food. Make it a gourmet feast — finely chopped chicken and chicken livers, served in a cut glass bowl, or poached salmon with a couple of crickets as a tasty garnish. Or how about brunch for the late-risers? Sardines neatly laid out on fine china would be a simple but classy choice.
- We cats are not big on cards — really! — so if you can’t find one that truly expresses your sentiments, don’t worry about it. We would much prefer gifts. What’s important here is the wrapping paper. Make sure you get extra-crinkly paper. Also make sure your gift requires a lot of it. If the World Cat Day presents you choose are small (which is perfectly acceptable — even kitties realize that “good things sometimes come in small packages”), then put them in big boxes so you have sufficient wrapping paper for playing in — plus the box serves as a bonus toy! Here is a tip on the right amount of wrapping paper: if there is so much that you could possibly lose your cat inside it, that is sufficient.
- But just because we cats love wrapping paper, don’t skimp on the gifts. Hopefully you have been paying attention and you know which kind of toys your cat likes best. Some cats prefer small catnip mice that can fly through the air; others prefer something bulkier that can be bunny kicked into oblivion. Still other cats enjoy flying toys like Da Bird, or turbo scratcher type toys. If in doubt, get your cat a bunch of options, just to make sure that you hit pay dirt with at least one. A cat tree would be great if you want to splurge… but you still have to wrap it up.
- Since this is such a special day, if you are going to get your cat treats as a present, get really special treats — real, freeze-dried meat, or maybe even fresh chicken or grilled salmon. These treats have the benefit of not only being yummy, but also being good for you! We cats are smarter than humans — we like food that is nutritious. If the treats are fresh, you don’t have to wrap them, but if they come in a package, the wrapping paper is de rigueur. I would suggest that you go out and catch some field mice or trap some moths or beetles, but that is probably beyond most humans.
- Most importantly, here is the one thing your cats really want from you on World Cat Day: your time. Take time to play with your cats today. Don’t just toss a toy around for a couple of minutes. Make it a quality play session, and let your cat decide when she has had enough. If your cat is more of a couch potato, then let her doze on top of you without fidgeting, talking on the phone, or moving her because some body part of yours has fallen asleep. This will show your cat how much she really means to you, and that you really understand her needs. The more respect and regard you have for your cat, the more you will get in return. Or maybe not, but what did you expect?
Charles Huss says
It’s Cat Day every day here. They get freeze-dried chicken every day. Maybe tonight I will leave our bedroom door open . . . or not.
Sandi Stefani says
World Cat Day is everyday since my hooman brought in that ball of fur with legs. There are soo many new toys and scratching things. Our den looks like a pet store!! Of couse Zoee sand I reap the benefits when that thing goes to sleep (Zoee and I are still at the hissing stage, Zoee will probably always hate him).
Happy International Cat Day to Summer, Binga and Summer’s fans!
Hey, Sparkle–with regards to wrapping paper–if you don’t have wrapping paper, just use a bag! Preferably a big bag with no handles! That’s almost better than crinkly paper any day!
Your Daily Cute says
Excellent tips, Sparkle! I hope all the kitties were able to benefit from your advice. 🙂
Happy World Cat Day to all cats and cat lovers out there! I hope every cat was as spoiled as they should be. On my way to give some treats now…
Excellent advice, Sparkle!
Teri and the cats of Furrydance says
as always, perfectly accurate advice with the perspective we wish humans had more often, hahameow!
::Claps Paws:: Happiest of World Cat Days to you!!
Such a great, fun post, Sparkle!…Thanks so much for helping out our humans…Happy World Cat Day, sweet friends…kisses…Calle, Halle, Sukki
oh dear I think we got it all wrong – Zeke went to the vet yesterday and got shaved and shots and blood taken and Frankie and BB are no longer speaking to him so all the kitties at my house are having a bad day!
~ Miss Emily
Such great points Sparkle, every one of them. I hope you have a wonderful World Cat Day every single day!
Katnip Lounge says
Well, we DID get a new Cat Tree a few days ago…and some new toys a week ago…but we certainly did NOT get breakfast in bed! We had to drag ourselves from room to room, sampling the four different flavors of stinky goodness Mommy provided. Plus the plate of shredded pork on the kitchen floor. And the kibble treats strewn about on the carpet. Oh, and the chicken jerky treats. But nothing served to us in our beds.
Sparkle, Happy World Cat Day! (Every day!)
Tell ya what I’m gonna do special for you on this special day. Since I don’t have a cat of my own, I’m gonna let you come to my yard for the whole day. No can food, no frozen food no siree; you can com and run and play and chase and eat your very own very fresh breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I’ve got lots of chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, and birdies for you.
And you won’t be bothered all day long by any pesky dogs either cause they’re all fenced in their yards and won’t get to run, play, chase, and eat like a king like you’ll be doing.
I wouldn’t make this offer to just anyone you know, ONLY YOU, cause you’re special and this is YOUR day.
The Island Cats says
Thanks for reminding our human what this day is all about! We didn’t get breakfast in bed, but maybe we’ll get some good treats and some crinkly paper to play with…and some loving from our mom!!
Oh Sparkle, that was a super post and we made Mom read every single word. We may have to start over tomorrow with the breakfast in bed but she is going to do it or be really sorry if she doesn’t . Should be interesting with 16 cats have breakfast in Mom’s bed but she is going to do it. Thanks for all these wonderful suggestions. They are all purrfect. Have a great day.
Fui, Suey and Lishy says
That is a great list, Sparkle. Our terrible mum didn’t realise it was World Cat Day today until she helped us with our blogging. We’re ordering a do-over tomorrow!
Best advice EVER! Have a great holiday!
It is good you spelled it out so clearly for the humans, Sparkle. I doubt mine will do much of what you suggest, but maybe next year they will plan ahead better.
Huffle Mawson says
Mum played with me but totally ignored the rest. Hmpf.
Karen & Gerard says
It sees like we just had World Cat day not too long ago. How often does it come around? I’m so glad I found this early this morning so didn’t miss it. I will be sure to give my cats some extra play time and special attention today! (www.zemeks.blogspot.com)
I also put this very important message at the top of my blog today with a link back here!
Toby & Leia says
Terrific advice, Sparkle.
Fuzzy Tales says
Excellent suggestions, Sparkle! We didn’t get breakfast in bed, but Derry just caught a moth. Okay, he had to do that himself. Hmm, our World Cat Day isn’t starting off quite the way you have suggested. We need a redo to get this day onto a bettering footing…pawing…so to speak. 😉