Here is something you weren’t expecting. Researchers recently looked at the human-feline connection — and they discovered that the closest bonds forged were with cats who misbehaved! That’s right, people adore cats who acted out and were destructive. You can see an article about the study here.
Although the research was done with Brazilian cats and their humans, I think you can agree, bad cats do have a certain allure worldwide. (I mean, Binga has been gone for three years and she STILL has a huge fan club here!) Why do humans love bad cats? Having lived with Binga for the first five years of my life here, I think I have a few ideas.
- It’s exciting! Bad kitties are unpredictable. You never know what trouble they’re going to get into next. Life is never boring with them around.
- They exude confidence. It’s actually hard for a lot of humans to be bad. In fact, they tend to be secretive about it, and hide their acts of misbehavior. Bad cats own their behavior. In fact, many are proud of their willfulness. Maybe their humans are hoping a little of that self-confidence will rub off on them.
- They’re not afraid of you. The type of courage a bad cat has to steal or break things right in front of you is pretty impressive, really. And if they are doing something in secret, it’s only so that you won’t interrupt them. Bad cats are amazing ninjas when they need to be. Would you rather live with a meek creature who never did anything wrong — or a ninja?
- You are a little envious. Admit it, don’t you wish you could do what you want, without a care about what anyone thought? A life without rules, without fear. Just like your misbehaving cat. You’ve got to admire their attitude.
- You like a challenge. I’m not saying you actually want to change your bad cat’s behavior. (Even if you say you do, confess — you’re really in awe of their brazenness.) It is not easy living with a cat who acts out. But you can! And that is an accomplishment on its own.
- You understand them in a way that nobody else can. A lot of people would be so frustrated over your cat’s behavior that they would pull out all the stops to control them. Of course, trying that is bound to fail miserably. You know better. And not only that, you love your cat just the way they are. You like their independent, willful behavior, and you never want them to change. You’ll work around their bad habits and appreciate the adventure they bring into your life. Life would be dull without them, and you know it.
So what do you think? Do you live with a bad cat, and appreciate the excitement they bring into your life? Let me know in the comments!
Other posts you’ll enjoy: