Because I am an outgoing kitty who does tricks and enjoys travel, people think that I can do anything! But there are a few things I can’t do, embarrassingly enough. Here is what I’m lousy at:
1. I can’t figure out those puzzle toys! Yes, I can open the desk drawer where my human hides my sparkle balls. I can learn pretty much any trick my human wants to teach me. But for the life of me, I can’t figure out the simplest food puzzle toy! It’s a good thing I don’t need to diet — I’d starve to death!
2. I suck as a hunter. I can track down critters inside. I will keep an eye on them. But catch them? Nope, that is what my human is for! The one time I caught a rat, I carried it around and then dropped it. I didn’t know you are supposed to kill (and eat) it. I blame my mother, who comes from a long line of pampered pedigreed cats. I think the hunting instinct got bred out of my line.
3. Birds? I’ll stare at them all day long, but I won’t stalk them. Like, when I’m outside, I’ll literally sit there staring at the birds, and it will never occur to me to do anything but look.
4. The one time I encountered a ferret, it scared me! I had no idea what it was or what it was about. (No photos of this — my human was too busy trying to reassure me that the ferret was okay.)
5. My play instinct is almost as bad as my prey instinct. I only play with certain toys, and not very often. When I was competing in cat shows, the judges expected the Somalis to enthusiastically play with the toys that they offered them. Not me. I just stood there and posed and expected everyone to admire me.
6. Sometimes my human can’t tell if I’m fearless or dumb when it comes to dogs. Really, I just don’t care. I depend on my human to know if it is dangerous or not — and then it is up to her to take me away if that’s what needs to happen. I will just stand there without a care in the world. It’s a good thing she is so cautious!
Did any of these surprise you? Let me know in the comments!
See all of Summer’s merch at her Designercat Shop, available on Zazzle.