Happy National Cat Day!
You may think that we kitties have way too many days on the calendar. International Cat Day was in August, and we just had National Black Cat Day a couple of days ago. And humans like to say every day is cat day… and they are right! But you know what? It’s always nice to have a day to remind people who’s boss around the house.
This day was originally founded in 2005, and has its own official website. It was primarily created to both celebrate cats and promote cat adoption — two very worthy causes. And there’s a list on the site of 20 ways to celebrate today. Some of them, like volunteering at a shelter, would have to be set up ahead of time, but I do have some of my own ways to make sure your National Cat Day rocks.
- Shop for something special for your cats. Whether it’s a fun new toy, or their favorite flavor of cat food or treat, your cat deserves something awesome today.
- Take your cat on an adventure! No, I’m not talking about the type of adventures I go on, like trips or pet store visits (unless they already do that sort of thing). I mean, take them somewhere in the house they aren’t normally allowed to go, like in a closet, or looking through a drawer. Supervised, of course.
- Let your cat hang out on the kitchen counter or dining room table, if they are normally not allowed. Of course, if they think they are being allowed, they will want to do it all the time. So just sort of “pretend” you don’t see them up there for a long time before showing up and telling them they have to get down.
- Praise your cat. Many people believe that cats don’t respond to praise, and they’re oblivious to human compliments. This actually isn’t true. Cats love praise — it’s part of being worshipped. Just be sincere about it. Cats can smell insincerity a mile away.
- I’m always saying this one, but spend more time with your cat. That’s one thing most cats would love more than anything else, your time. Most people don’t spend enough quality time with their cats. Even my human spends way too much time at the computer and not enough playing with me.
Oh, and if you can, donate to your local cat rescue. They always need the money!
I hope your cats have an awesome day today!
Other posts you’ll enjoy:
- It’s National Cat Day… What Shall I Wear?
- National Cat Day Caturday (with Binga)
- My Pet Store Visit on World Cat Day