I have something important to tell you today, about something I learned on one of my recent trips to PetCo.
They handed this card to my human when we were checking out, inviting us to spread the word about the dangers of smoking for pets. I mean, it’s not about us pets smoking, it’s about the humans who smoke!
Wait a minute! I said this was serious business, not treat business.
Anyhow, this card had a tag attached to it, to help remind humans that smoking is not only bad for them, it is also putting their pets’ health at risk. Yes, cats and dogs are twice as likely to get cancer if their humans smoke, but there’s more because smoking impacts the respiratory system, and poisons breathed into the respiratory system can cause problems with lungs and circulation too.
I hope you don’t smoke! It is a stinky habit. My human used to smoke, but she quit a long time ago — in fact, even before Sparkle came to live here. If you do smoke, or know someone who does that has cats, here are some tips to keep in mind to help cats avoid the dangers of secondhand smoke:
- If at all possible, don’t smoke in the house, or nearby your cats.
- Wash your cat’s beds regularly to get rid of any toxic smoking residue that may have settled there.
- Keep your kitty well groomed, and wipe her down with pet wipes regularly
- Some cats like to lick human hair. This is not a good habit if that human smokes, and it should be avoided.
- Dispose of cigarette butts somewhere your cats can’t find them and chew on them or play with them. Preferably outside in the garbage.
- Regular wellness checkups are even more important for cats living with smokers, so if they develop any tobacco-related illnesses, they are caught early.
- Quitting smoking is always an option! Your cat, your lungs, and even your wardrobe will thank you.
And thank you for listening to my message! If you want to help spread the word, you can take a cat selfie and tag @truthorange. You can also use the hashtags #FinishIt and #Catmageddon. I will be doing that some time today on my own Instagram account!