There’s a reason I’m a therapy cat! Part of it is my good temperament… and part of it is I accept things that most cats dislike! Here are some examples of the latter.
- I like tummy rubs. Sometimes I will even roll on my side to accept them. The tummy is a very, um, “touchy” place for a cat. It’s one of their most vulnerable, sensitive areas. Presenting our tummies to someone is a great act of trust — but that doesn’t mean a cat wants their tummy actually touched. That’s why a cat will attack when someone tries to pet them there. Not me. I enjoy tummy rubs, even from strangers. But I do initiate it first with strangers. My human doesn’t offer tummy rubs on my behalf.
- I’m fine with having my paws touched. Many cats really hate this. Some need veterinary intervention to get their claws trimmed! But I’m both good with claw trims and anyone just randomly touching my paws. When I’m visiting patients, sometimes they will touch my paws because they don’t know many cats hate it. And they’d never know by my non-reaction! Usually my human lets them know they can’t do that with every cat, just me, so they don’t get a rude surprise with another cat.
- I love meeting strangers. My favorite saying is “A stranger is a friend you haven’t met yet.” Because as far as I am concerned, it’s true! I love people and I love getting attention from people. While a lot of cats hide when strangers visit their house, there are those who are friendly — who would still make terrible therapy cats. Binga was one of those. She immediately came out whenever anyone came over — but she would also bite them if they petted her the wrong way.
- I love being photographed! Most cats either dislike being photographed, or they don’t have much awareness of the camera. In fact, I have a funny story about my predecessor, Sparkle. She actually didn’t like being photographed, but she dealt with it in the most passive-aggressive manner. She would sit still while my human got the camera ready — but then she would move her head and not look at the camera. On purpose! Me, I love the camera (and the camera loves me). When I see my human pulling out the camera, or if I just hear the sound of the camera turning on, I’ll get excited and run over to get ready!
- Take me out places on a harness and leash. This would really upset most cats, even some of those that don’t mind being on a leash in their own yard. And while my human uses caution and common sense when she takes me shopping or on therapy cat visits, I’m almost always good about my surroundings. The handful of times I haven’t been, I get bundled up and taken home. Over time I’ve learned that my human makes sure I’m safe as long as she is with me, and that has helped a lot.
- Wearing clothes! I don’t know why, I just enjoy it and always have. I think it’s fun and I get treated special when I do. Plus I am generously rewarded with treats! My human almost feels bad dressing me up because even though I love it, she worries it will encourage others to dress their cats&Nbsp;— and nearly all cats really dislike it.
Do any of you out there have a cat who is good with some of these? All cats are different. Let me know in the comments!
Other posts you’ll enjoy:
Emilia Evans says
Treeno’s good with all of that except wearing clothes though he’ll do it if I ask nicely. And he’s not great about posing for pictures.
Brenda Barrio says
You are so amazing summer!
Ernie the Island Cat says
You aren’t the typical cat, Summer!
pat k says
And these are all reasons why you are a good model and good
Our Toki was a love everyone kitty!
Pipo begged us all the time for real belly rubs.
You are amazing, Summer! Ava loves having her belly rubbed, and is fine with having her paws touched. so two out of six. 🙂
Catherine Lingg says
Hmmm Summer. They both love tummy rubs. I can touch both of their paws. However Princess gets testy whilst getting her nails cut. They are not great with strangers. They both prefer women. When I hired a friend from my rescue to cat sit, Princess acted like she wanted to go home with her. Very odd. No way in clothes. I tried Christmas hats one year,but didn’t go well. Tried leash training Princess. She acted like she was dying. she’d plop down as if paralyzed. When I took her outside, she crawled under a bush and wouldn’t move. Kind of like dear in headlights
Lone STar Cats says
I like tummy rubs and wearing clothes, but I’m not too fond of strangers.
BellaDharma an BellaSita Mum says
Yore simplee amazin Summer!!
Tummy rubss? Not on yore life!
Touchin my pawss?? Not unless Hu’manss wanna lose a fingur or two!
Meetin strangerss?? NAW HUH!!!
Beein fotograffed?? Sumtimess when mee iss INN tHE mood!
Walkin on a harness an leesh?? You gotta bee kiddin rite!?!?!
Wearin clothess?? Mee wuud like to try it butt mee iss too nervuss….
See! You ARE amazin Summer!
***purrss*** BellaDharma an **giggellss** BellaSita Mum
Pee S: You an ‘angel’ Unkell Siddhartha were two of a kind <3 <3
I’m very mild mannered too and I can do all of those except the leash thing.
Melissa & Mudpie says
Mudpie is good with numbers 1 through 3!
Ellen Pilch says
You are a special girl. My Joanie does 5 out of 6, but I never tried her on the harness. XO
Val Clark says
My 3 guys have various likes or dislikes. All like belly rubs, but Lennie allows 3 rubs only. Try a 4th and you get grabbed by 22 claws. He’s my polydactyl man. Paws are a unanimous NO. Bean trimmings are impossible! Sometimes I can get a claw or even a whole paw while they are sleeping. Petey is the best. Lennie and his 22 claws are the worst! Dressing, strangers, and leashes are a big NO. Gus will peek around the corner and watch and may join or may not. My best door ambassador was Andy, but he went to the bridge at almost 18 years old last summer. ❤
Eileen Clark says
I can’t pet Dixie’s tummy, she does not like it!
Great list of “what not to do” to most kitties. Honey (the cat who found her way to me over 8 years ago) loves tummy rubs. Something I would never have expected from a cat who wandered into my yard as a stray. Of course it was a process with us getting there because it took a good 6 months for her to even let me stay nearby while she ate. Plus touching her took another 6 months. I was very slow and careful about it and the day she rolled over and showed me her tummy was a milestone. I still approached touching the tummy with a lot of caution though but she has always been happy to accept it. One of the Siamese liked tummy rubs too but her sister was an absolute wild kitty. She’d offer the belly but really didn’t mean for you to touch the tummy!
The Poupounette Gang says
Asie from 5 and 6 that we haven’t really tried, we are OK with the others. None of the Abys have ever minded tummy rubs and kisses, and they have positively loved toe massages! And all of us have always done guests and photos!
Tama and Benny
Memories of Eric and Flynn says
#1 Tummy rubs were a big yes for Eric and Flynn.
#2 Both enjoyed having foot massages and toes played with.
#3 A definite no for Flynn, but Eric was everyone’s friend.
#4 Flynn loved to pose for the camera. Eric hated it and most of his photos were taken unawares or with the zoom.
#5 and #6 A definite no for both!