Humans like to think that cats are impervious to praise. As supposedly aloof creatures, their only consideration is, “What’s in it for me?” Just toss some treats their way and they’ll be perfectly fine.
That’s actually not true. While we cats don’t visibly live and die by praise the same way dogs do, praise should be part of every cat-human relationship. Here are 5 reasons why you should praise your cats every chance you get
- We may not understand your words, but we do understand your intent. Your tone of voice comes from your emotions and any images that may be floating through your mind. It’s is a form of communication, even without words. So we feel praise on a deep level.
- Praise helps your cat feel safe around you. We kitties are very sensitive creatures. And speaking to us in harsh, negative tones can be frightening. We may even feel threatened by you when you shout angrily at us. But praise makes us feel that you love and care for us, and it will draw us closer to you.
- It’s part of positive reinforcement. Focus on the good things a cat does, and praise them for it. Spend as little mental energy over misbehavior as possible. Attention for bad behavior can be a reward in itself, and you don’t want to encourage that. Spend lots more time approving of your cat’s good/ brave/ smart behavior, and you’ll get more of it.
- We learn tricks faster with praise. Sure, other incentives, like treats, are important, but praise is like the icing that helps seal in our new skills.
- You’ll forge a bond with your cat that will surpass your expectations. I promise.
Other posts you’ll enjoy:
- The REAL Way to Talk to Your Cat – and It Is Surprisingly Simple
- How to Get Your Cat to Follow You Around
- The Top 10 Ways to Have a Better Relationship With Your Cat