The way some people talk about cats, you’d think we are all takers and not givers. When they see a cat like me that works as a therapy animal, they consider me the exception to the rule. Every other cat — oh, they just eat and sleep and ignore everyone. Hey, it’s not true — every cat does lots of things for their humans. But do humans ever show any gratitude? Rarely, if at all! It seems like the good things kitties do are taken for granted.
Isn’t it time your everyday housecat gets some kudos for their good deeds? Here’s a list of five common things that cats do that should make humans say, “Thank you!”
- Cats give you massages. And we are experts at it too! Call it kneading, making biscuits, or my favorite term, “happy paws,” it’s a special massage that only cats know how to give. It’s relaxing and comforting and often accompanied by purrs (see #5).
If you have an issue with the claws involved, well, that’s your fault for making sure they aren’t properly trimmed.
- We catch prey and give it to you. Even better, we often give you dead prey. Yes, we have noticed that you prefer your prey dead. We’ve seen you come home from the grocery store with dead prey already skinned and cut up. Most of us cats know you don’t have the skills to handle live prey. So we bring it to you already dead. It’s our special gift to you and contribution to the household food stores.
- We look out for you! We keep an eye on you to make sure you are always safe and not getting into trouble. Why do you think we freak out when you shut the bathroom door and don’t let us in? We know how dangerous it is in there — you could slip and fall and hurt yourself. Even worse, you can (and do) get wet! Who knows what that is about? In any case, you may think it’s a bit creepy that we keep watch over you. It’s not, we’re being protective and you should be flattered.
- We wake you up on schedule. Most humans know that cats are better than any alarm clock. We never let you oversleep. In fact, we like to get you up a little early just to make sure you’re never late. In feeding us, of course, but that also includes things like you guys going to work, or watching the sun come up. Who wants to miss the opportunity for a snack and an early morning sun puddle? Certainly not any cat, and we want to share that with you!
- We purr! And it’s documented by science that a cat’s purring is beneficial. It’s the right vibration to facilitate healing of bones, and it’s relaxing, thus helping with stress and managing blood pressure. And sometimes we give you massages while purring, for a whole, amazing healing package! And we don’t even ask for tips for this service.
See what I mean about the things we cats do for you humans? You’re welcome.
Catherine lingg says
Honestly Summer I’ve seen most of these before. I never take my kitties for granted. I don’t know what I would do without them. They are my loves and my life. They give me a reason to greet the day, they cuddle, purr and show so much love. They are smart and funny. They are beautiful amazing creatures. I’m a cat lady and proud of it.
LESLEY CASTLE says
Furry angels <3
Janis Kerrick says
Thanks for all you do, Summer! You are a special cat.
Laura Davis says
Kitties are incredibly helpful! Ziggy offered to taste test my shredded chicken to make sure I did it right tonight!
LESLEY CASTLE says
I love all the things my kitties do for me! <3
Julie McDonough says
I love all the things my kitties do for me Summer.
MK and DK know full well what we do for them! MK thinks that Nutmeg’s insistence on following (sometimes LEADING) her to the bathroom is MK’s mom getting revenge for all the time MK did that to her when she was growing up!
LESLEY CASTLE says
I’m so grateful for all the things that kitties do for me! Except, hairballs!
Thank you for the sweet reminder, Summer.
Catherine Lingg says
No convincing necessary, those 5 and many more. The best for me is their antics. Cats are hilarious, I take that back, that’s number 2. The unconditional, pure love my girls give me is the best. No matter how bad I feel, when Rosie starts “pole dancing” on the leg of a tray table is hysterical. She works hard for the money lol
It’s taken my bf long time to accept the feline alarm clock so early every morning…for me, I learned a long time ago how to sleep-walk to kitchen, feed Coco and Heidi then go right back for more zzzz’s.
My Mom says we DO come in handy……we cats really do a lot of stuff that maybe humans don’t even NOTICE……when they smile because we do something silly we have HELPED them have a better day! We are the BEST “mood enhancers” around!
Prancer Pie says
This is why a cat’s job is never done!
Kitties Blue says
We are pretty certain our humans appreciate all these things. They let us completely take over their bed, give us treats, built us a catio, pet us bunches and do all kinds of other good things. Those things we do for them are pretty special. XOCK, Kitties Blue
The kitties of purring pines says
Thereâ€™s a lot of kneading and purring going on here. And keeping mommy warm at night.
Fur Everywhere says
Carmine is very protective of me. He sleeps on my pillow every night so he can watch over me while I sleep. He’s the sweetest!
This is a great list and I do feel grateful to my kitties for doing these things 🙂 Their purr melts any stress away!
Cathy Keisha says
Summer, you are correct even if I only do two of the things on your list and I only purr for Pop.
My kitties know that I need a lot of rest due to serious health issues and they let me sleep as long as I can…but if they hear me stirring and it is several hours past feeding time…Charlie will start walking on me and will try to sit on my head. He is also a great snuggle kitty when I don’t feel well. The others fill in whenever necessary…they know their jobs and are very good at them…especially bathroom monitoring.
William's Kith & Kin says
Thank you for these reminders, Summer!
CRAIG S. C. OKAJIMA says
My Sydney loves to knead me! Her favorite places are my neck and knee caps!
She has a very loud purr!!
Melissa & Mudpie says
This post just made me smile, Summer! You’re such a wise kitty.
lola the rescued cat says
Those are all spectacular things that kitties do for humans, and humans need reminders about them. Like waking them up on time. I find it very rude when a human covers their face when I’m licking them and trying so hard to wake them up.
Purrjamm Cats says
Mr. Chivers even goes the extra mile to provide lower back massages to mom when she’s hurting. He also sleeps on her lower back. Mom is very appreciate of us all. We provide so much happiness and laughter in our household mom says. We are loved. Purrs
Memories of Eric and Flynn says
I agree, Summer. I appreciated all those things that Eric and Flynn did for me, even when Eric would jump in on top of me if I was soaking in the bath to give me a massage. I had to grab a towel quick when I saw him ready to launch his 23 pounds onto me. When the massage was finished he would lie on me on top of the towel and go to sleep with his paws in the water and his tail floating.
The Swiss cats says
We agree, Summer, that’s so true ! Purrs
The most awesome thing my cats do for me? They make me laugh – every day! Bless their little hearts (and goofy shenanigans).
Eastside Cats says
Around Eastside Cats, Summer, Da Boyz also keep us on a diet; they steal food off of our plates, just so we reduce our caloric intake!
Coco & The LunaTicks says
Mine do NOT do #4 AT ALL. In fact, they want me to stay in bed all day. They lie on top of me and purr to keep me in bed. Even though they know that when I get up, they get fed, they still don’t want me to get up.
To be honest, I am more like that too… Iâ€™m a shirker!
Me too! I dont want my mommy to go to work! So I cuddle next to her legs so I am careful not to wake her.
CRAIG S. C. OKAJIMA says
Ellen Pilch says
Those are all wonderful things. I would love cats even if they didn’t do any of those things though. XO
Angel Whiskeratti says
You are so right. We humans really can be major ingrates sometimes, can’t we??
Theo is exceptional at #1…
Pat K says
I agree with all your points Miss Summer. In
addition, I want to point out the calming
benefits of being able to rub the soft fur of
a furred cat.
Some of the cats here combine numbers 1, 4 and 5 by giving purring wake-up bladder massages.
Catscue Catmom says
Very wise Summer – MOL! We also get extra holes in our clothes after a massage, which leads to shopping for more clothes – a win, win!
Rev. Tom Fishworthy says
Cats do a lot for humans, I totally agree with all of your points, Summer.
Me? I just have to “be.” That seems to be enough for everybody, hehe – Tom x
Margaret Elmendorf says
That is so true. Cats do lots for their humans. Especially the purring.
Mickey's Musings says
Those a 5 pawsome reasons why cats are purrfect for humans!
We know mum appreciates them and us 😉
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ
Brian Frum says
Those 5 are worthy of a high 5 for sure sweet Summer!
Charles Huss says
I get extra special acupuncture massages. 🙂
The Poupounette Gang says
Absolutely! We think that our #1 has mostly figured it all out, which is why she loves us so much!
Catherine Lingg says
I bow to the kitties, I’m a fan Summer. Actually prefer the company and lifestyle of my cats over humans. Since childhood I’ve lived with 8 male humans (no I’m not a loose woman), some were related male humans…I’ll take cats thank you very much