My friend Athena mentioned her bedtime rituals with her human yesterday, so I thought it would be fun to tell you a little bit about ours. Since there are three of us, it is somewhat more complicated!
- Bedtime Treats. My human’s boyfriend gives these out, and usually it is just Binga and Boodie. For some reason, he complains when I get involved. Can I really be that much trouble? I just want to make sure I get my fair share!
- Actually Going to Bed. My human’s boyfriend goes to sleep first, and usually he makes us all leave because he shuts the door (since my human’s still up), and if we stay, one of us always wants to leave after he’s asleep. My human usually goes to bed an hour or two later, and we go to bed with her. She leaves the door open so we can come and go as we please.
- Restless Sleeping Humans. These humans don’t stay put when they sleep! They thrash around all the time. My human’s boyfriend is always throwing off his covers, and while my human is a deep sleeper, she is almost as fidgety when she’s sleeping as when she is awake. So the only cat that sleeps next to or on either of them on a regular basis is Binga. She can make herself heavy enough so that she doesn’t go flying when one of the humans is flipping around like a fish out of water. Sometimes Boodie will curl up on one side of my human, but mostly she stays near the foot of the bed. I usually keep my distance from both of them.
- Late Night Activities. Mostly we sleep the night through on the bed with the humans. Sometimes Boodie decides to get up and kill one of her toys. When she does this, she likes to announce with mournful screams. It wakes up my human’s boyfriend when she does this. A few times he has gotten up and taken her toy away. Around dawn, Binga occasionally throws up in the hallway. If she does this more than once in a week, my human gives her part of a Cerenia tablet at breakfast. I’m good and don’t cause any trouble that will wake up the humans.
- Getting the Humans Up. This is Binga’s job. She meows loudly (partly because she is hard of hearing) and gets in my human’s face and tries to lick her. This causes my human to hide under the covers because the next step is to bite her nose if she doesn’t get up. She lies there, hiding and trying to ignore Binga until she wants to get up on her own. Besides, her boyfriend has already been up and let Binga in the kennel to eat whatever was leftover from last night’s dinner. So it’s not like she is starving. Unlike Binga, Boodie and I wait patiently.
- Out of Town Humans. That is when Binga and Boodie fur up the missing human’s pillow. Well, at least it happens with my human’s boyfriend — my human uses a satin pillowcase and that is harder to fur up.
- Hotel Bedtime. When I’m out of town with my human, I have to take over both Binga and Boodie’s rituals, along with doing my own. It’s a lot of work! I’m surprised I get any rest.
What do you guys do for bedtime rituals at your house?
See all of Summer’s merch at her Designercat Shop, available on Zazzle.