Look what came in the mail — a package from Maxie!
Which meant we all had to pose with them.
The sad part about what happened to Maxie is that while it is not common, vets and their staff do make mistakes, and pets suffer. Another member of the Cat Blogosphere, a Sphynx kitten named Neala, died when a tech fed her the wrong food after surgery to correct a persistent right aortic arch. When something goes wrong during a veterinary procedure, it’s a complex issue; this article from MSNBC a few months ago explains why. The problem is that if the true worth of a pet begins to be taken into consideration, the resulting increase in insurance costs to the vets is bound to raise already-high rates for pet care. The best thing humans can do is to educate themselves about our health so they know when something is wrong, and so that they can articulate any problems to their vet. Clear communication won’t solve everything, but it helps. And humans also should be willing to get a second opinion if they do not believe that something being done is in their pet’s best interest. Most veterinary personnel want to do what’s best for your pet and the sort of things that happened to Maxie and Neala don’t happen very often. But it never hurts to ask questions, and to be willing to learn about what makes us tick!