Did you know that today is Work Like a Dog Day? I didn’t either until yesterday, when Daisy wrote about it on her 1-800-PetMeds blog. I find this day confusing — who in their right mind would want to work like a dog? According to the saying, dogs work to exhaustion (although frankly, I’ve never seen a dog work at all). I think it would be much better to work like a cat! There is even a book called How to Work Like a Cat that I reviewed several years ago. We cats know how to work better than either humans or dogs. I have proof! Here are some ways to work like a cat:
- Focus. Have you ever seen a kitty stalk a mouse — or a cat toy? We watch its every movement (or in the case of the toy, imaginary movement), and we’re involved in the hunt with every millimeter of our body! One of the reasons we are so successful at catching our prey is because we focus on it so intently.
- Trust Your Timing. Because we are so good at focusing, we cats know exactly when and how to do things. We know when to pounce on our prey, or how far we need to leap to get to the top of the cabinet. It’s like we become one with our goal! And when that happens, timing just comes naturally, so trust it. If you think or hesitate, you lose.
- Be Efficient. Do you know why dogs have to work so hard? Because they are all over the place, wasting their energy, jumping around and going in all different directions. We cats live way more efficiently. When we kill our prey, we do it in one swift bite to the neck. Even when we play, we don’t scramble — we make the moves we need to get what we’re after and we keep our eye on the prize. Cats don’t waste energy, and as a result we get things done with less effort.
- Persistence Wins. When we cats really want something, we don’t give up! Like, when a cat wants his human to get up and fetch breakfast, he will keep patting her face, sticking his paw in her mouth, purring and head butting her, or whatever else he needs to do to get his human up and moving — and he won’t take no for an answer! This is why cats are so good at training their humans — humans need constant repetition to learn things, and we cats are up to the task.
- Get Enough Sleep. I bet you were wondering when I was going to get around this one! I’ve seen it over and over — when humans don’t get enough sleep, they don’t think clearly and mess things up. Sure, sometimes you have to pull an all-nighter to get something done, but when you are finished, crash out and don’t emerge until you are well rested. Bedtime is for recharging your batteries, so don’t waste time mulling over your day and worrying about tomorrow. Cats never have insomnia and we are generally in charge of the households we live in. ’Nuff said.
Follow my advice and you will never have to work like a dog!