I hope you humans aren’t thinking you can pawn off the usual Temptations as a treat for Cat Appreciation Month! No way. To show off your appreciation for your cats, you need to put some thought and effort into this month’s treats. Maybe some elbow grease too. I have some suggestions below.
- Serve up a recipe from my second Dear Sparkle book: a Tuna Float! Here are the easy instructions: to 8 ounces of tuna juice, add one scoop of ground chicken and top with freshly made, unsweetened whipped cream. Except for whipping the cream yourself, that’s not too hard and it makes enough for a whole cat household!
- If you are creative in the kitchen, maybe you can try your hand at whipping up a good recipe for catnip cookies. I looked all over the internet and the ones I saw were pretty lame — I mean one teaspoon of nip for a whole cup of flour? How would you humans like it if someone made a batch of chocolate chip cookies that only had a spoonful of chips, total?
- If you are not big on cooking or baking, never fear — there are still simple and elegant ways to please your kitty this month. Any cat will appreciate freshly grilled wild salmon, for example.
- Can’t even grill? You can always pick up some sashimi from a sushi restaurant or bring home a shrimp cocktail (just toss out the cocktail sauce — we won’t need it).
- How about this: just serve up some creme fraiche, nicely presented in a small crystal bowl. Classy!
- If your cat’s not the fancy type, you can still make him feel special by serving up some down-home fried chicken from the best chicken joint in town. You won’t give the pieces to him whole, of course — you tear off the meat and feed it to him by hand. He will like the personal touch.
- Here is my personal favorite: catch something for your cats and bring it home alive for them! Don’t fret — it does not have to be something warm and fuzzy or feathered. We like bugs too! And especially moths. One of the best things my human ever did for me was catch a big, fat moth in her cupped hands — she came over to me and uncupped her hands and it flew out! I had, oh, about a minute and half of fun before I caught and ate it.
How do you like my treat ideas? Do you kitties have any suggestions of your own? Let your imaginations run wild!
See all of Summer’s awesome merch at her Zazzle Shop