I hear humans say over and over again, “I feel like I am just a servant to my cat!” I am not sure why this comes as any sort of revelation to them. So for Cat Appreciation Month, why fight the truth? Instead, do your darndest to be the best Cat Servant you can be! Here are some awesome suggestions that will make your cat feel well appreciated:
- Serve your cat breakfast in bed. A lot of cats get up before their humans and nag them for breakfast. Wouldn’t it be a nice surprise if you got up even before your cats and brought them their breakfasts to where ever it was they chose to sleep? Even better, make it their favorite food, and garnish it with a nice sprig of fresh catnip! Of course all of this will be difficult to see, since it will most likely still be dark out, but don’t worry — cats have an excellent sense of smell.
- Set out Bird TV treats. Humans like to munch while they are watching television; what makes you think your cat would not like to do the same? So when they are checking out the happenings outside, set out a bowl of treats for them to enjoy.
- Help your cat explore. You know we kitties like to get up high and look down on our kingdom, but there are still some places we can’t quite get to. That is where you come in. Hold your cat up and show him things he wouldn’t normally get to examine: ceiling fixtures, wall sconces, the tops of doorways, light switches, molding, etc. If you and your cat have not explored every room in the house this way, then you must do it! It’s great for humans too because it builds up upper body strength.
- Do not scoop immediately! I know this is counterintuitive for you humans who want everything to smell a certain way, i.e., completely fake and unnatural. But when we use the litter box it serves two purposes: we relieve ourselves and we let everyone in our general vicinity know that this is our home! When you instantly clean our litter boxes, you neutralize the latter purpose and it kind of bums us out. So next time you hear your cat digging around, don’t stand at attention, litter scoop in hand. Let it sit for a while so that the smell permeates the whole house. Then you can clean it up. Now that is what I call service!
- Make a waterbed for your cat… out of your body! The human body is approximately two-thirds water, so wouldn’t it be awesome to put all that liquid to use as a comfy sleeping surface for your cat? It’s easy — just lie on a flat surface and cover your torso with a large heating pad at a comfortably warm temperature. You will probably not even have to coax your cat to nap right on top of you — he will probably jump up on his own. Now you merely have to stay there until your cat is done napping. Simple, simple, simple!
Any of you kitties have additional ideas?